Saturday, November 17, 2012

Quilted Potholder

This week, I took a break from quilt making to focus on a project for our local Modern Quilt Guild. We are making potholders to trade with each other this month. The guild supplied us with a 9x9" square of themaline (a heat-resistant product) to get us started.

First, I chose my fabrics (you'll also need the thermaline and a square of batting).

Since this is for the Modern Quilt Guild, I decided to go with a simple, streamlined design. I wanted to focus on the owl print (because I think it's so darn cute!). I used the green as a border, and the pink as the binding. The owl is leftover from the baby girl quilt I made a few months ago.

Once, the square was done, I layered the thermaline, batting, and fabric together and quilted a quarter inch around the owl square. I told you this was a simple design!

Next I based the edges to keep them from slipping before I attached the binding.

The binding only took me two tries. I FINALLY learned how to bevel the corners. It looks so much nicer and less bulky that way.

And here is the finished project.

I'm taking it to the Modern Quilt Guild on Tuesday night for our trade. I hope I get a cute one!


  1. Hi, you should share the one you got too, Love the owls though, who ever got yours was lucky!

    1. Thanks! I will share the one I receive. I'll get it tonight at the guild meeting. Great idea!

  2. I adore this pot holder! The fabrics you used are wonderful! I love the owls and the pink and green! great work!

    Submarine Sunday Link Party @

    1. Thanks! I love the fabric too. It was leftover from my owl quilt I did a few months ago. I love using up leftovers!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...